We are sure that you also know some negative people. He is always in a bad mood and has a great facility to spread it to the people around him.
- They are people who have a low tolerance for frustration.
- They are used to respond with protests and negative behaviors to anything that happens that does not correspond exactly with their expectations.
But then, how can we defend ourselves against them?
Why is the continuous bad mood in some people?
There are people who live in a continuous pessimism. A negativity that not only affects their own lives but also influences those of others.
- Experts tell us that, in reality, what is behind these people is: continuous irritability and dissatisfaction with themselves.
Deep down, these people are victims of themselves, because they spend the day suffering from their continuous disenchantment with the reality they experience.
Sometimes they may not reach a real depression. However, they have low self-esteem that they have a certain apathy and contempt. Like a shell with thorns.
Although the glass is missing a drop they always see it half empty. They are distrustful and unable to enjoy the good that surrounds them.
- They also have a special art to convey their negativity to others.
We often find phrases like “so you are going to do this if it is not going to work out for you”, “it is not worth trying, you are not good at those things.”
And although we try to ignore them, in a way they affect and discourage us , especially in the following cases:
- If the negative person is a close relative: father, mother, partner …
- If the negative person has a certain power over us: as is the case with our boss at work.
In this case, being figures that have an influence on our lives and that we see with relative frequency, can cause an impact on us.
- It bothers us, affects us and forces us to have to defend ourselves from them daily .
Next, we explain how you can defend yourself against toxic people.
Keys to defend against negativism
1. Set limits
If these negative people are very close to your personal circle, sooner or later they will have an influence on you. Although it is by force of his own insistence.
We have to be careful because such behaviors, statements and comments can undermine our self-esteem . They hurt us inside .
We have to set limits, responding reasonably to the negativity:
- Why are you going to present yourself to that opposition if only those plugged in work? I’m going to introduce myself because I think I’m trained.
- How can you look at that boy if he is too attractive to you? I look at the person I want because I am worth the same as any person and because I also have the right to be happy.
That is, with calm and balance, we must put limits on those people who, with their statements, always try to harm us.
2. Show them that it is they who have a problem
This is already something more difficult. After a negative person, there is always defeatism and low value for enjoying the positive things in life. They don’t want to get excited or hope.
- Show them that they are wrong, and above all, that you are not like them.
- Smile at your negative comments.
- Never return negative phrases. If possible, try to tell him about the positive things they may have.
Behind these personalities is distrust, sometimes even envy . It is always good to let them see that their vision of reality is wrong.
- Do not let yourself be infected, since these people are unhappy. Don’t let them have power over you.
3. Act assertively towards negative people
There is nothing better than assertiveness to defend ourselves from those who try to harm us. Of those who want to manipulate us.
- You must know at all times what you want for yourself.
- What you want is simply to be happy , live your life and show that you are capable of anything you set your mind to.
It is no use to you that these negative people tell you that “you are not worthy, that you are not capable, that you will go wrong . ”
Life is learning and experimenting, and you may sometimes make a mistake. But then you will get up and try again, getting what you set out to do.
You must be assertive and say out loud what you want. Without fear, you must set limits and prove that you are not afraid of bad opinions.
- It is the negative people who are afraid, not you.
Therefore, it is essential that we learn to open our private umbrellas to protect ourselves from these frequent personalities.
It is worth helping them too if it is in our hands. Make them see that to be happy you need to have a more optimistic view of things.
We need to raise our self-esteem and think that we all have the right to happiness and that it is in us to achieve it. Do not hesitate!